Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Eye Opener: Online Learning Activities

Concepts relating to obesity in America learning activity 
Paige's E Health Blog


We read different articles and had to do a fill in the blank word guess! Very cool :)


1.)  Obesity can cause ________________ referred to as high blood pressure and can harm the arteries.

2.)  ______________ are highest at risk for obesity.

3.)  _____ percent of children in the US are considered obese.

4.)  Obesity is a _______   ________ treament.

5.)  Obese children's __________________ skills are greatly hindered, mainly due to the disease.

6.)  _________   ___________ is positively correlated with the risk of becoming obese.

7.)  Increased consumption of ____________ foods have assisted to rise the trend of obesity.



1. Hypertension
2. Native Hawaiians
3. 33%
4. Life Long
5. Social Skills
6. Economic Status
7. Highly processed foods



Very interesting activity, 33% is a huge number of children in the U.S. that are affected by obesity. 


Fluoride Around You
Ashley's Green Lily Pad


We read three different things, and looked at how fluoride is good for us, and what products it comes in. Then we had to look at our ever day things we use that have fluoride in. Also talk about what if we didn't have this product. 




This is an item that has fluoride in that I use every day. I know its not my own picture, my camera is broken, but I use the blue kind! My mom used to be a dental hygienist so I have always used fluoride! If I could not use this ever day, I would feel that my teeth would not be healthy and that I would have bad breath! Yikes! It would be horrible if there were bad chemicals in this, I feel there are a lot of things that we use now days that are not safe at all. It makes you now want to use things!


I also found from one of the websites that there is fluoride in wine! I love wine, and I never knew this! 





Water Science
Mediterranean Melissa 


When took a couple online questionnaires about our drinking water. I found that 


1087 (50%) drink from a faucet in MN just like me.
743 (57%) drink public water in MN also just like me. 


I also use Your own per capita use: 69.18 gallons per day!


That is a lot! 

Bath: 50 gallons
Shower: 2 gallons per minute
Teeth brushing: 1 gallon
Hands/face washing: 1 gallon
Face/leg shaving: 1 gallon
Dishwasher: 20 gallons/load
Dishwashing by hand: 5 gallons/load
Clothes washing (machine): : 10 gallons/load
Toilet flush: 3 gallons
Glasses of water drunk: 8 oz. per glass (1/16th of a gallon


This is where I use all my water doing each day..


There were more questions that I did, one that I thought was funny, was that 1100 (27%) plus me like the ocean in California! :) 


This activity opened up my eyes, on how much water usage everyone uses, also what kinds of water. Which ones are safer than others, and if that is where I live and if I am drinking it. 


I love all of these activities thanks for opening up my eyes to these very important issues and why we need to vote bills to improve them!! :)


3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry my project caused you a bit of trouble since you didn't have a camera but thanks for figuring out another form to post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for doing my activity! I'm bummed my word find didn't work out, but plan B worked out alright

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for doing my activity. I thought that California thing was funny too.. :)

    ReplyDelete